The readings we discussed included:
Monday - Alienation
- Marx, "Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts of 1844"
- Arendt, Chap. 7 of The Human Condition.
- Kathi Weeks “Life within and against Work: Affective labor, feminist critique, and post-Fordist politics”.
- Dyer-Witherford “21st Century Species Being”
- Stavrides “Contested Urban Rhythms”
- Lukacs, Reification and the Consciousness of the Proletariat
- Eve Sedgwick “The Pedagogy of Buddhism”
- Walter Benjamin “On the Concept of History”
- Lauren Berlant “Cruel optimism”
- Susan Buck-Morss “Dialetics of Seeing” (excerpts)
WEDNESDAY – Image
- Susan Buck-Morss “Visual Empire: The Sovereign Icon”
- Walter Benjamin, Work of Art Essay.
- Walter Benjamin, “Surrealism: The Last Snapshot of the European Intelligentsia”